Sunday, April 13, 2008

The Road to Hana

I didn't find the road to Hana to be as bad as I had been lead to believe; the road from Hana to Kipahulu was, and the road back again along the cliff side of the mountain was a bit unnerving....other than that, it was great.

The road to Hana is a long (52 miles), narrow, winding road along the southeast coast of Maui. It takes you through lush rainforest, waterfalls, valleys, and beaches. According to one of the books at the condo, it's where Heaven meets Earth.

We started out in Pa'ia where we had breakfast at Cafe Mambo. They also packed us a lunch to eat along the way. The road actually starts around Huelo and ends in Kipahula.... ends there because an earthquake in 2006 blocked the road; otherwise, you could go all the way around. However, past Hana the road gets even narrower and a little scarier. Turning around at Hana wouldn't be a bad idea.

Along the way, there are places to pull over and take pictures and do some hiking. I didn't have good hiking shoes, just my flipflops, so we didn't get far along the trails. We tried one trail in Kipahula that was supposed to lead to a great waterfall, but the path was uphill with tree roots and rocks for most of it, but with my flipflops, we only went about a mile. Gary almost got arrested by a park ranger because he stopped the car to take pictures when he wasn't supposed to, but I guess he was just told to move along.

It's a very beautiful drive, and, as long as you have nerves of steel, you'll enjoy it. But bring good shoes and a rain jacket...it rained a bit in the rainforest.

Aloha

3 comments:

Unknown said...

btw....Gary did all the driving and took most of the pictures...he wanted me to let you know that.

yay Gary...what a guy!!!

Anonymous said...

Go Gary!
I am glad you are enjoying Maui! I told you you would! I recognize some of the places a little bit from my 2 trips there. I have been to BJ's as well. They serve great iced tea there I remember that! I didn't see any pictures of black sand beaches on the road to Hana...did you see them?

Take care, sniffling in Chicago,
Jackie

Unknown said...

We didn't know where the black sand beach was until we had passed it...this is the kind of drive you'd have to do a few times just to see everything.

I didn't have iced tea at BJ's but we had some really good iced tea at a restaurant called The General Store which was kind of close to Pa'ia. We went there for lunch with Gary's mom one day.

I hope you start to feel better soon...is everyone at work sick?